Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Remember These Guys?


After last weekend's bad loss to Oklahoma, I watched Arizona State blow out USC to the point to where Lane Kiffin got fired. My interest in the game was due to that these are our next two opponents. In that game I watched Sun Devil quarterback Taylor Kelly throw into traffic all night. But he had great receivers Jaelen Strong and D.J. Foster make great plays for him.

That reminded me of the two guys above. I remember possibly the most overrated quarterback in Notre Dame history Jimmy Clausen throwing into double or even triple coverage but Golden Tate and Michael Floyd would consistently make a great catch and nobody would notice. Tommy Rees even got away with that with Floyd his early years.

The point is that I look at the receivers we have now led by TJ Jones and DaVaris Daniels and while they are really good when is the last time we saw them go up and take a ball from the defenders? I tried real hard and I just couldn't remember. Understand that this is not making excuses for Rees but just saying that the receivers won't be wide open all the time and the great ones make plays even when they are covered. It is time for Jones and Daniels start helping their quarterback out if the ball is not thrown perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment